I find it very interesting how re-engagement with an old acitivity, or engaging said activity from a different angle, can stimulate long forgotten or unused aspects of learning or training. I have been a Warrior all of my life, and a very well trained one at that, but in the realm of hand to hand combat my training has been 'formally informal', to coin a term. That is, while I learned many techniques and styles they were always short term as the demands of service don't often allow for long term immersion. The upshot was some very, very effective methods of a bastardized nature compiled into something I have always refused to even think of teaching others. O-o We'll leave it at this; this background affects how and who I am even today.
Now I am beginning to delve into a sequence of martial arts in formalized teaching sessions, with very formalized progression, so much of this built up knowledge is triggered into life. This is not a good thing, contrary to what some may think. Emptying my cup means also unlearning a set of deeply ingrained ideas and reactions to things *before* learning new ways and methods. Only after I manage this can I then look at both and integrate them into a whole of some kind, if that is even possible. I won't know until I get to that point. As a result, emptying my cup isn't like dumping a cup of water on the ground; it is a continuous and conscious process, and hard one too. Then again, the word 'gong', short for 'gongfu', refers to something that takes a lot of time and effort to learn. So Qigongfu is effectively a course of study that takes a long time to learn, a lot of effort to learn, and has Chi as the subject matter.
In short it takes perseverance, patience, and willpower to do this. I am not in short supply on any of these counts, but it is interesting to note how modern culture has tended to undermine these qualities in people by fostering the instant gratification complex, something that can muck with the flow of qi very easily.
I have, over the past day or so, tried some of the exercises I watched the students doing at the dojo. Some of these I have no problems at all with, some I have trouble with but can do, and some I cannot do at all. Yet. Push-ups are hard still due to the left arm being so much weaker than the right. That will rectify itself in time, or so I hope. Hauling the legs up over the head and touching the floor behind you I can't do at all, although I can get my legs up past vertical..if only for a short period. That too will improve with loss of fat and conditioning. The blocks and stances, the shoulder rolls, these I can do, at least on the right side with the latter. I haven't tried the left yet but will do so soon because of the clavicle there; we'll see how that works out.
The result of this is that I will be a 52 year old with a bmi over 30 and odd injuries providing entertainment for the younger folk in the area. For a time. I can't get any worse anyway. *laughs* I don't mind; the prospect does not bother me nor worry me and is as likely to provide moments of great amusement for me, and possibly for others. I take martial training seriously but there is and always has been room for laughter, especially directed at oneself.
This evening I'm going over to the dojo with the family and we'll see about a one month trial period, mainly to see how much Jen and Tali like it, and go on from there. There are other options too; a couple of Aikido dojos in Noho and a very good Quigong course in Greenfield. Amherst is closest and gets first shot. Prices are pretty much competative across the spectrum.
They use a chinese style uniform, button front with frogs, sashes for rank along with sleeve stripes. I have a suspicion that I may have to make my own outfit...LOL...comes of being huge. Whatever, we shall see how things work out.
I have no intention of stopping.
As I mentioned before I have added certain elements to my devotions each day. These are, due to necessity, mostly blocking motions and breathing exercises, along with a few knife movements. They have been very well received by Those whom I serve. This is no surprise. I have been working the signs of the elements into the exercises as well, which has had very pronounced and very interesting effects and all of this has affected the Sphere of Protection in rather interesting ways. Protection indeed! :) It takes up more time in the doing, but it is worth it. Honestly, if I had an actual temple I'd probably add in some staff or sword work, but that will have to wait.
It is said that Masters and students walk a path side by side for a time, sharing their destinies until their paths go their separate ways. I would have to agree with this, yes. If you look at how this would work over time it weaves a lovely tapestry of learning and sharing. Something to learn from.
May your days bring many blessings and carry few burdens.
Cyfnos Gwynt /|\
No comments:
Post a Comment