Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tools and learning

I probably ought to get some new photos of myself in 'togs'. That'll be coming along soon when I finish the new bits and bobs for certain. I'm after some shots with the harp too, for possible future use.

I'm after using buckles on my bag but I must admit to being still uncertain as some nice carved buttons would be nice as well. Of bone or antler in fact. Question is, more utilitarian in appearance or artistic? A blend of the two is the obvious choice but we'll see; I'm resorting to sketches to get an idea, something I've been doing a great deal of lately. One limiting factor is buckles; I haven't got any matching ones that aren't tiny! LOL I may, but I think they're used on armor and such; I'll have to see. Ooooo...just in...rings and buttons!

The Celts had belts that would pass through a ring of bronze, double back and then loop or slot over a button on the same belt. Sometimes laces were used in lieu of buttons or to tie around the buttons, making it more adjustable. This could in fact work nicely, bringing metal rings in with bone/antler buttons. I think I like this. Sketches to be certain. I can always make square 'rings' if necessary. Now there's an idea.

I have fur I'd like to use in some things, but I'm not sure what as of yet. Rabbit fur at the moment but also an arctic fox tail. I may well trim at least one of my hoods with fur, we'll see. Feathers and beads and so on, all being tested out in sketches.

I'm probably adding a bell to my bag, perhaps my staff too. 'Bear bells' they are called..more to warn wildlife. They come with magnetic silencers so they don't drive you nuts. Bears aren't such a problem here but it is still nice to warn off occasional critters in some places. Especially during hunting season. ;)

The staff selection continues. I'm pretty set on the designs to go into it once I settle on it.

While working on Roman things for other endeavors I am also putting a lot of effort into my working tools, which really have priority on the whole.

Mostly what I've begun doing is composing verse for my harping. It was said that at one time a Bard's training happened only in the Winter months; they were not allowed to compose during the rest of the year and in fact assisted with the usual work the villages had to do. In their free time they wandered the land and learned it....and returned to study in the Winter. An interesting way of working things. Effective I should think. Certainly I tend to be more creative in this way during the Winter.

I suspect the reason for the ban outside of Winter was to allow what had been learned to 'set', so to speak, such that when one returned to it in the following Winter things came forth rather less 'raw', if that makes sense. I've had this experience when playing the harp. I get caught on something and I can make no headway at all....and then I'll simply stop for a while. When I go back it is often as if I had never had any trouble at all. The mind and body had assimilated things while I was 'resting'. I have long since learned to use that to my advantage.

Life has become full and interesting, here in the darkest portion of the year. Rebirth is coming.

Brightest of Blessings

Arianmwng /|\

No comments: