Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Restless & Hunting

Dreaming continues. Essentially the same content. Not reassuring. I am puzzled by the (mostly) modern aspects of them. This is a recent thing and not at all calming; far too much like the manifest world for comfort.

From weapons to clothing, much of it is 'modern' in the sense of 20th century on type stuff, with a smattering of earlier bits and pieces here and there. Some of it is obviously custom made, I assume by me or someone I know, not commercial in appearance. At least, I haven't found anything that looks like it is commercial. Gear is similarly across the board. In one instance I was sitting in a thoroughly hobbit style home with lamps and firelight using entirely modern equipment to reload brass casings for weapons. O-o I do not own such equipment, for one thing. Never really thought about having it either.

The weapon is one I own...yet it is not the weapon I would choose in such a situation. Dreams are so weird sometimes. Still, the whole is entirely too cohesive and consistent for comfort. These dreams are partly responsible for my restless nature of late.

The Mountains feature...and not the Rockies either. More like the Green or White Mountains further North...which is unsettling for a number of reasons. For one thing, moving North has been an active consideration for a while. For another, the hike on the AT takes me into those Mountains. It is all so odd.

There are grappling hooks (which I do not have), climbing ropes (which I intend to replace and upgrade), climbing hardware (which I have and intend to augment), skis (which I have), snowshoes (which I have), a kind of reversible parka (which I do not have), low boots and gaiters of Mountain sort (which I do not have), pants of a sort I do not have and have not seen, and so on....very strange.

There are the knives of an earlier age, fire making kit of the same sort, rations of similar kind, leather kit obviously made from buckskin, all sorts of things here and there. Just...weird.

There is nothing I can do about them, of course. I will proceed as I have done. It is just these dreams make me really restless. I'm sure I will get smacked if I am going the wrong way. Experience indicates this would be the case.

For the moment, Hunting Season has arrived and it has my focus. Not least because Jannat and Taliesin are taking their course on Basic Hunter Safety. :) Hopefully this year will see some game in the freezer.

Taliesin is after a good compound bow and I know just the one that would suit himself and Jannat too. Won't happen right off but they are something to aim for. I already have a compound bow. As far as firearms, that is up to them and what they might choose (or not) remains to be seen. Tristan is after a Weatherby hunting rifle, probably in .270 Winchester or .308 Remington. Low capacity, reliable, simple to operate, and good general weapon. I suspect Taliesin and Jannat would choose something similar.

Aside from all of that, hiking has expanded into new sections of the Robert Frost trail....a section that is amazingly rugged and steep too. This portion is in Leverett and runs up to the end of the trail in Wendell State Forest. Total length is about 6.7 miles but it is some rugged country and very different from the segment that runs through Ox Hill, Roaring Mountain, and Mount Toby. The section that runs from the Notch through the conservation area in Amherst has yet to be traversed. Eventually we will have covered the entire 40 + mile length of the trail. Then comes the M&M and of course, the AT. Steady on.

Some of these trails pass near or through hunting areas so of course looking for sign is a constant activity.

Currently it is bear season....next month will start deer season. We are seriously under way.

Siani

No comments: