"I am strolling along a path that winds its way leisurely around and across a tall hill. I am aware that the path traces out a kind of maze and that walking it with the right intent can bring one into the Otherworld. I am not walking it with that intent now.
I am enjoying the sunshine; it is late Spring judging by the grass and a warm gentle breeze playing hob with my hair. Such is the curse of very fine hair. It is red in shade, but I know that is just coloring and that in time it will turn silver if I let it. I am fit and healthy, in combat trim and have no need to lean on my staff as I go. There is an outcropping of rock just over the top of this hill; I like to sit there and watch the world once the sun warms the stone.
Reaching the outcropping I stand and look about me; the air is clear and there are no clouds so I can see a great distance. Seating myself in my stone 'chair' I sigh then laugh with pleasure, closing my eyes and leaning back for a few moments. When I open them again Mother Bear is nearby, sitting on the grass and gazing out at the landscape. I have not seen her in some time so I am pleased although I do not disturb her. But turning her great head she regards me a moment and then asks me if I notice anything different today.
Curious I sit up and look about, taking greater care to actually see as opposed to expecting. I don't see anything obvious and say so. She nods and is quiet for a moment. Then 'Are you sure?' Such a statement cannot help but sharpen my interest yet I know if I ask what she means I will simply get more cryptic comments, so once again I look about. I see the busy insects, the flight of birds....but I do not see rabbits, ground squirrels, or anything else, and when I look closely at the insects I see they are all coming, as it were, not going...and the birds are all roosting in strong trees though it is daylight and clear. Tilting my head I consider this for a moment.
"It seems to me" say I "that the birds and insects are taking shelter for some reason. Since I see no sign of other animals I can theorize that they too have taken shelter, though from what I do not know." She nods slowly and looks away South and I follow her gaze; there is the suggestion of a shadow flitting about coming ever northward. Frowning I regard it, but I cannot seem to pin it down; each time I think I am about to get a clear look it...fades away and reappears elsewhere. I am fascinated...and disturbed. "What is that? I have seen nothing like it before. Almost it seems a living shadow." She regards me and says "Or perhaps something moving too fast to see clearly." I nod, but mention that she has not answered my question.
She thumps a paw on the ground and tells me to make fire there. This I do with no difficulties at all although it is small and if the small store of wood kept near these rocks is consumed, it won't be lit again until that store is replenished. "Very well, I have lit the flames. What is it that you wish with the fire?"
"Sit." She tells me. Look into the flames and tell me what you see. I arch an eyebrow but do as indicated and seat myself, looking deeply into the fire. After a short while images begin to appear; a town or village busy with daily life. I see my family and some of my friends; the day is clear and they appear happy, just as it was when I left it earlier this morning. Heat waves ripple across it and the scene changes...another place, I don't know where, it is clear but it seems as a cloud is passing overhead for it grows darker as I watch. Something is there; a rain of dust of some sort it seems....every so often dust filters down onto everything and as it does so, the color leaches out of anything it touches. This is startling.
I look at her; "Is this what that shadow is? Some strange dust carrying storm? But what is it that causes it to leach color, or is that simply an indication that where this goes difficulty follows?
You have many questions but you have already seen, or already know the answers. But there is something that perhaps you have not yet awoken to; your village isn't taking its cue from the animals....
I blink as I absorb the gentle reprimand and the nudge all at once. I frown then and look back to the dying fire. Perhaps....I feed it just enough fuel to make it burn well for a few moments as I stare into it, seeking a particular image. When I have it, I try to impart a simple sense of unease; it will take me a good long time to return home and if this works it will save time. I have done this before but it is unreliable at the best of times...
I cannot tell if I got the idea through but I decide I can no longer wait. The pleasant day does not seem so pleasant now, even though I know the shadow, if that is what it is, that is coming here is still a good long way off. I nod to Mother Bear and and take up my staff, striding down the path...some things must be done correctly after all. Even in a hurry."
Then I woke up. That thing is so full of possibility its unreal. Some things seem to stand out but there is little of a hard nature to lock to. Perhaps that's the whole idea; there is nothing hard to lock on to. I don't know yet, I need to think about it.
Unusual dream; I haven't had one quite like this in a while.
Cyfnos Gwynt /|\
No comments:
Post a Comment